Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Brooklyn Bridge

Opened to the public in 1883, the Brooklyn Bridge is a unique tourist attraction that many flock to daily.

The Brooklyn Bridge was created by John Augustus Roebling and successfully links the boroughs of Brooklyn and Manhattan. The project took a total of 600 workers, $15 million (an estimated value of $320 million today) and an abundance of steel suspension cables and granite blocks.

Today, the Brooklyn Bridge receives over 150,000 vehicles and pedestrians crossing every day.

Image of the Brooklyn Bridge, as taken from world-visits.com 

While many enjoy walking the Brooklyn Bridge, it is not the only way to view this sight. Next to the Brooklyn Bridge is Brooklyn Bridge Park, an 85 acre stretch of land that provides a space for recreational activities while providing an area for individuals to admire the New York skyline. The park includes Piers 1-6 where children and adults alike can partake in a series of sports throughout the year.


Sources:
http://www.american-historama.org/1881-1913-maturation-era/brooklyn-bridge.htm
http://www.history.com/topics/brooklyn-bridge
http://www.brooklynbridgepark.org/pages/history

5 comments:

  1. I like the picture of the brooklyn bridge. It always looks so nice at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I didn't know the Brooklyn Bridge was so expensive to make. I guess I take too many things for granted. Also, I like the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great place in nyc for many people

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard lots of things about the Brooklyn Bridge. It's the first suspension bridge in the U.S. I hope we can continue to maintain it for many years. I've seen it in so many wallpapers, postcards, fire mixtapes that it's permanently a part of New York City in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the picture that you posted with this post. It creates a figure that makes us want to go and just enjoy the view.

    ReplyDelete